The Polytechnic Museum is one of the world's oldest museums of science and technology. It was founded on the basis of the collections of the Polytechnic Exhibition of 1872 on the initiative of the Society of Devotees of Natural History, Anthropology and Ethnography.
The Polytechnic Museum has always been a promoter of ideas and solutions that determined the path of scientific and technological progress. Here, devices and objects illustrating the stages of the evolution of technical thought are collected and carefully preserved.
In December of 1991, the Museum was declared an especially valuable object of cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation.
Nowadays, the historic building of the Museum constructed nearly a century and a half ago on Novaya Square in Moscow is closed for renovation.
Renovation involves not only the building, but the very concept of the Museum is being changed: now it is not just a collection of exhibits, lectures and tours, but also an open site for scientific discussions, creative experiments, educational projects and intellectual endeavors.
During the reconstruction, the Museum continues its operation in Technopolis Moscow on the territory of the former AZLK plant in Tekstilshchiki, which houses the Open Collection and the Polytechnic Library.
The postage stamp features the building of the Polytechnic Museum and the logo of the celebration; the margins of the postal block provide images of the Museum's exhibits: desktop clock World Clock Pointer, a Talking Paper device, a Russia motorcycle, a vertical Golitsyn seismograph, a Convas-1 film camera, a plasma camera, and a Russo-Balt K12/20 car.
In addition to the issue of the postal block, JSC Marka produced First Day Covers and a special cancel for Moscow.
Design Artist: S. Kapranov.
Face value: 150 rubles.
Block size: 90×100 mm, stamp size in the block: 42×30 mm
Quantity: 23 thousand blocks.