The Military Academy of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation is the oldest higher military educational institution in Russia. The grand opening of the Imperial Military Academy took place in St. Petersburg on November 26 (December 8), 1832, in the presence of Emperor Nicholas I. In 1855, the Imperial Military Academy was renamed the Nikolaev Academy of the General Staff. In August 1921, it was transformed into the Military Academy of the Red Army for the purpose of training tactical level personnel. In total, before the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the Academy trained more than 600 officers and generals of the highest military qualification.
During the Great Patriotic War, 63 graduates of the Academy became Heroes of the Soviet Union. On May 4, 1945, the Academy was awarded the Order of Suvorov, First Class, for the outstanding contribution of the Academy teaching staff to the Victory over Nazi Germany and its allies. Since 1958, the Military Academy of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the USSR has been actively involved in solving new problems associated with a revolution in military affairs: the reorganization and technical re-equipment of the armed forces. The merits of the Academy in training highly qualified specialists for the Armed Forces of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact countries and in developing science were distinguished with high state awards, such as the Orders of Lenin (1968) and Red Banner (1986), as well as twelve orders and medals of foreign countries.
The Military Academy of the General Staff played an enormous role during the formation and establishment of the military organization of the Russian Federation. Scientists of the Academy participated in the development of the modern Military Doctrine of the Russian Federation, new statutory and other documents regulating the activities of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in peacetime and wartime, issues of the collective security maintenance in the post-Soviet space, peacekeeping, etc.
For merits in strengthening the national security and training highly qualified military personnel, Presidential Decree No. 262 of May 23, 2015, awarded the Military Academy of the General Staff with the Order of Kutuzov.
The main illustration shows the modern building of the Military Academy of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation; the commemorative stamp provides images of warriors of different times.
In addition to the issue of the postcard with a commemorative stamp, JSC Marka produced special cancels for Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Design Artists: S. Ulyanovsky (stamp) and S. Kapranov (illustration).
Quantity: 5.5 thousand postcards.