The A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications is one of the oldest science and technology museums in the world founded as a Telegraph Museum on the initiative of Karl Lüders, the Director of the Telegraph Department, on September 11, 1872. At the origins of its establishment and development there stood Nikolai Slavinsky who worked as the first Director of the Museum until 1911. The museum owes its origination to the first Russian Polytechnic Exhibition of 1872, where the telegraph and postal departments were exhibited. It is thematically devoted to the history of the development of various types of communication, including post, telegraph, telephone, radio communication, radio broadcasting, television, space communication, and modern communication technologies. The museum stores the State Collection of valuable postal matter.
In 1884-1919, the institution worked as the Postal and Telegraph Museum, while it remained a closed departmental enterprise until 1917. In 1924, it was transformed into the Museum of Public Communications and opened its doors to visitors, and on May 7, 1945, it was reorganized into the A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications. In 1924, the Museum participated in the official class of the first All-Union Exhibition on Philately and Coupons in Moscow. A collection of the Museum of People's Communications of the USSR People's Commissariat of Posts and Telegraphs, as it was then referred to, was successfully displayed at that exhibition.
In 2003, the reconstruction of the building was completed and a new permanent exposition was compiled. Since December 19, 2003, the A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications has been opened to the public.
The postal block provides an image of the building of the Museum; the margins of the block feature the first civilian Luch-15 satellite, a postal troika, the first pair of postage stamps (put into postal circulation on January 1, 1858), and the device for detecting and registering electrical vibrations (A.S. Popov's first receiver of 1895).
In addition to the issue of the postal block, JSC Marka produced First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Design Artist: S. Kapranov.
Face value: 150 rubles.
Block size: 105×90 mm, stamp size in the block: 50×37 mm
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with (2×3) stamps and a coupon.
Quantity: 23 thousand blocks.