The State Historical Museum is the largest national historical museum of Russia. It was founded in 1872 upon order of Emperor Alexander II. The building was constructed in the very heart of the capital, in the Red Square, in 1875-1883 upon the project of architect V. Sherwood and engineer A. Semenov.
The State Historical Museum complex also includes St. Basil's Cathedral and a monument to Minin and Pozharsky in the Red Square, the Chambers of the Romanov Boyars in Varvarka street, and the Museum of the Patriotic War of 1812. All the buildings of the Historical Museum are considered especially valuable objects of cultural heritage of the peoples of Russia, which annually undergo regular restoration works. The holdings of the Museum numbers over 5 million units. Since 1990, the Museum has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List as part of the Red Square ensemble.
The State Historical Museum is a symbol of national identity and respect for the country history, a witness to many events and a guardian of the memory of them.
The postage block provides an image of the main building of the State Historical Museum.
In addition to the issue of the postage block, JSC Marka produced First Day Covers and a special cancel for Moscow, as well as two illustrated envelopes: the first envelope for the postage block with a label and a First Day Cover with a cancel for Moscow inside; and the second envelope with the second form of issue of the postage block.
Design Artist: O. Savina.
Face value: 150 rubles.
Block size: 90×90 mm, stamp size in the block: 50×50 mm.
Quantity: 25 thousand blocks (the first form of issue); 5.2 thousand blocks (the second form of issue).