An official cancellation ceremony of an envelope took place in the Solovetsky Sea Cadet School museum in the Arkhangelsk Region on the Solovetsky Islands.
Roman Sheredin, Deputy Head of the Federal Communications Agency, Nikolai Rodichev, Minister of Communications and Information Technologies of the Arkhangelsk Region, and Alexander Pobozhy, Chairman of the Central Council of Veterans of the Solovetsky Sea Cadet School took part in the event.
In May 1942, Admiral Nikolai Kuznetsov, the People’s Commissar of the USSR Navy, ordered a naval cadet school be established on the Solovetsky Islands as part of the training detachment of the Soviet Northern Fleet. The school recruited 14- and 15-year-old teenage Komsomol members. Apart from studying the specialist trades and teaching naval science, much attention was paid to general education subjects. Work on military and patriotic education of future seamen was constantly carried out. The cadets studied at the school for 12 months, after which they went on to serve in the Navy. They were enlisted in the staff on their full age. They became the youngest professionally trained war participants, who rose to defend their native country with arms in their hands. The school trained 4 111 radio operators, helmsmen, boatswains, mechanics, and electricians in three graduating classes of 1942–1944. One in four graduates was killed in fights for the Motherland.
“Studies and combat feats of the sea cadets were a continuation of the glorious traditions of the brave northern seafarers and their children, who helped their fathers in hard work. The heroism of the Solovetsky sea cadets is undeniable. The boys, who passed the school of survival on the Solovetsky Islands, became used to act at their own peril and risk.
And this despite the fact that the Solovetsky Sea Cadet School was the newest military unit not only in the Soviet Union, but in all Europe during the Second World War.
We will not forget this part of our history and will do everything to preserve it. Collect stamps and remember the history of your native land”, said Mr. Sheredin.
Design: A. Moskovets (emblem), R. Komsa (illustration).
Circulation: 1,000,000 copies.