Emissions of state valuable postal matter in August


On August 2, two stamps dedicated to present-day trains of Russia will go into postal circulation

The railway complex is of a particular strategic significance for Russia. It is this facility that ensures stable operation of industrial enterprises and timely delivery of vitally important goods to the utmost regions of the country.
A train is considered the most affordable transport for millions of citizens of this country. Open Joint-Stock Company Russian Railways is one of the global three leaders of railway companies. The route miles of railways is 85.6 thousand km.
Nowadays, numerous railway lines unify the country from Kaliningrad to Vladivostok; enable passengers to see the most picturesque routes and appreciate the unmatched beauty of nature; they introduce them to the history, culture and landmarks of various regions of the country.

The postal stamps provide images of a Ruskeala Express and a double-deck train.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamps, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow, St. Petersburg and Yaroslavl, as well as an illustrated envelope with postal stamps, a label and a First Day Cover with a cancel for Moscow inside.

Design Artist: M. Bodrova.
Face value: 27 rubles.
Stamp size: 42×30 mm, sheet size: 108×150 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 8 (2×4) stamps.
Quantity: 68 thousand each stamp (17 thousand each sheet).

On August 5, a stamp dedicated to the 650th Anniversary of Kaluga will go into postal circulation

Kaluga is a city in the European part of Russia located on the banks of the Oka, in the Central Federal District; it is the administrative center of the Kaluga Region. The population is 331,842 people (2021).
Kaluga was first mentioned in the 1371 charter of Grand Duke of Lithuania Algirdas, and that year is considered the date of the city foundation. From 1389, Kaluga became part of the Great Principality of Moscow. In the period from 1505 till 1518, the city was an independent apanage principality, and in later years, came into possession of Moscow.
Kaluga reached its zenith in the 18th-19th centuries: owing to its favorable location at the intersection of water and carriage trade routes the city turned into a large trading and industrial center. The main branches of industry were rope-making and sail-linen production. During the war of 1812, Kaluga became the largest rear base for Russian troops. After the end of the Civil War, the Soviet government set a course for the development of industrial cities, which opened a new page in Kaluga advancement. Factories and plants revived. Mechanic engineering was rapidly developing. Kaluga became an important industrial center. In 1944, the Kaluga Region was established, and Kaluga became the administrative center of the region and it retains this status to our day.
Nowadays, Kaluga is a large transportation hub. The economy of the city is based on the automotive industry, mechanical engineering and metalworking, foodstuff and consumer goods industry, electric power industry and construction materials industry. Besides, Kaluga is a city of cosmonautics, museums and higher educational institutions.

The postal stamp provides images of the K. Tsiolkovsky State Museum of Cosmonautics, the K. Tsiolkovsky monument, a stone bridge, Kaluga Instrument Making Plant Typhoon and a cityscape.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Kaluga.

Design Artist: N. Karpova.
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 42×30 mm, sheet size: 146×174 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 15 (3×5) stamps.
Quantity: 135 thousand stamps (9 thousand sheets).


On August 6, a stamp dedicated to the 950th Anniversary of Rybinsk of the Yaroslavl Region will go into postal circulation

Rybinsk is the second largest city of the Yaroslavl Region. It is part of the Central Federal District of the Russian Federation. The population is 182,383 people (2021).
The city is regarded the successor to settlement Ust-Sheksna, which was located on the opposite bank of the Volga relatively to historic Rybinsk. The first recorded mentioning of Ust-Sheksna dates back to 1071, which makes Rybinsk one of the five most ancient cities in the region. The status of a town was granted to Rybinsk in 1777 by Decree of Catherine II On the transformation of Rybnaya Sloboda in to the town of Rybnoy. Before the October Revolution, it was the largest center of corn trade, the transshipping center of the Mariinsky water system, infamously known as the capital of barge haulers. After construction of the Rybinsk HPP in the 1930s, a Rybinsk water storage reservoir appeared to the north-west of the town that was the world’s largest artificial reservoir for its time.
The territory of the city accommodates 43 large- and medium-scale industrial enterprises producing most diverse products. The leading branches of mechanical engineering are engine manufacturing, shipbuilding, power engineering, instrument making industry, electrical equipment and cable production, road building and specialized machinery manufacturing.

The postal stamp provides images of the Ust-Sheksna archeological site, a cityscape with the Cathedral of Transfiguration of the Savior and the Rybinsk Reserve Museum.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Rybinsk of the Yaroslavl Region.

Design Artist: M. Bodrova.
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 42×30 mm, sheet size: 146×174 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 15 (3×5) stamps.
Quantity: 135 thousand stamps (9 thousand sheets).


On August 6, an overprinted stamp dedicated to the 60th Anniversary of the first long-term human spaceflight will go into postal circulation

On August 6-7, 1961, Soviet cosmonaut Gherman S. Titov performed the world's first daylong space flight on the Vostok-2 spacecraft and thus became the second cosmonaut in history.
Gherman S. Titov took the first photos of the Earth from the space, took his first lunch and dinner in weightlessness, and what was of special significance, he managed get a sleep in space, which became one of the most important experiments in the era of the start of manned space exploration. It proved for the first time that a person retains fitness for working under zero gravity during a day, and therefore, space is suitable for life and work.

An overprint of the new denomination and inscription “60 Years of the First Long-Term Manned Spaceflight” were made on the postage stamp. The overprinted stamp sheet is on sale as part of an illustrated cover.

Artist: A. Kernosov (stamp); Design: M. Miloradova (overprint).
Face value: 18 rubles.
Stamp size: 42×30 mm, sheet size: 130×135 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 6 (2×3) stamps.
Quantity: 42 thousand stamps (7 thousand sheets).


On August 7, a stamp dedicated to the 650th Anniversary of Vereya of the Moscow Region will go into postal circulation

Vereya is a town in the Naro-Fominsk urban district of the Moscow Region of Russia. The population is 5,088 people (2020). It is the smallest town in the Moscow Region. Vereya is a Town of Military Prowess. The town is located on the right bank of the Protva (Oka basin), in the western neighborhood of the Moscow Region.
Vereya was first mentioned in 1371 with reference to the march on Moscow of Duke of Lithuania Algirdas. Late in the 14th century, a fortified settlement was established with earthworks and a wooden fortress, which retained its defense significance until the 17th century.
From 1782, Vereya was a chief town of a district of the Moscow Province, and by the end of the century, it became one of the largest cities of a uyezd of the Moscow Province by the number of residents. In the second half of the 19th century, Vereya turns into a small chief town of a uyezd.
Vereya is one of the most picturesque small towns of outer Moscow. The attractions include the remains of the ancient Kremlin or a settlement located on a high river cape formed by the river and ravines.
By the Resolution of the Moscow Regional Duma of April 28, 2016, Vereya was awarded the honorary rank of the Moscow Region Town of Military Prowess.

The postal stamp provides images of the Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ, a monument to General I.S. Dorokhov and a copy of the monument to the Warrior-Liberator by E.V. Vuchetich, which the sculptor donated to the town.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Vereya of the Moscow Region.

Design Artist: N.Karpova.
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 42×30 mm, sheet size: 146×174 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 15 (3×5) stamps.
Quantity: 135 thousand stamps (9 thousand sheets).



On August 18, a stamp dedicated to the 550th Anniversary of Afanasy Nikitin’s traveling to India will go into postal circulation

Afanasy Nikitin was a Russian traveler, writer, Tver merchant and the author of famous narrative known as The Journey Beyond Three Seas. He was one of the first Europeans who reached India (30 years earlier than Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama).
Afanasy Nikitin went on the Indian shore in the first days of June, 1471; most historians who investigated the traveler's notes of journey refer to this date. After a long and not quite successful travel, the Tver merchant arrived at the Indian port of Chaul located 120 km to the south of contemporary Mumbai.
Nikitin’s essay was the first Russian writing that described in detail the commercial and non-religious journey. The author visited the Caucasus, Persia, India and Crimea. However, the greater part of the narrative was devoted to India: its political structure, trade, agriculture, customs and traditions. The writing is filled with lyrical retreats and autobiographical episodes.

The postal stamp provides images of the monument to Afanasy Nikitin in Tver, as well as Tver and India with ancient places of interest.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Tver.

Design Artist: S. Kapranov.
Face value: 55 rubles.
Stamp size: 50×37 mm, sheet size: 170×168 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 12 (3×4) stamps.
Quantity: 132 thousand stamps (11 thousand sheets).


On August 19, a stamp dedicated to the 800th Anniversary of the Annunciation monastery in Nizhny Novgorod will go into postal circulation

The Annunciation Monastery in Nizhny Novgorod is a majestic monastic ensemble of white-stone churches, located on the right bank of the Oka. It is believed to be founded in 1221 by Faithful Great Prince Georgy Vsevolodovich and St. Simon, the Bishop of Vladimir, during foundation of Nizhny Novgorod. In 1229, the monastery was attacked by Mordovan Prince Purgas; it was completely ruined and burned down by the pagan prince and ceased its activities for more than a century. Through the efforts of Metropolitan Alexey, a white-stone single-dome Annunciation church was built in 1370 and consecrated in 1371 in the Nizhny Novgorod Annunciation monastery.
In the 17th century, the church was reconstructed. The main holy thing of the monastery was acknowledged to be the Korsun Icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary donated to the brethren of the born-again abode by St. Alexey.
In 1764, by the decision of the Holy Synod, the Annunciation monastery was transferred under the direct management of the Bishop of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas. In the mid-19th century, the most significant event in the history of the monastery was the construction of a new Alekseevskaya church (1837) and a new stone chapel-over-the-well (1847) in the name of Saint Alexey, Metropolitan of Moscow and the patron saint of the Annunciation monastery.
After the October Revolution, the monastery was closed in 1919. In 1960, the monastic ensemble was taken under state protection as a monument of architecture, but all of its buildings remained in dilapidation. Over the period of 1970-1980, a partial restoration of several buildings of the monastery began, in the first instance, of the Annunciation Cathedral. In 1987, the restoration works were completed.
In 1991, the ancient monastery was returned to the Nizhny Novgorod eparchy, the church life resumed in its walls, divine services began to be administered. September 25, 1993, is regarded the official date of opening of the Annunciation Monastery.

The postal stamp provides a general view of the monastery and a picture of Saint Alexey, the patron saint of the monastery.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod.

Design Artist: S. Ulyanovsky.
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 65×32.5 mm, sheet size: 154×190 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins (2×5) with 9 stamps and a coupon.
Quantity: 126 thousand stamps (14 thousand sheets).

On August 20, a postal block dedicated to the 100th Anniversary of the Komi Republic will go into postal circulation

The Komi Republic was established on August 22, 1921, as Autonomous Region of Komi (Zyrian). The Komi Republic (since 1993) makes a part of the North-Western Federal District and is a constituent of the Northern Economic Region. The area of the Republic is 416.7 square km; population is 813,590 people (2021). The capital is the city of Syktyvkar. Official languages are Komi and Russian.
Presently, the Komi economy is based on mining and primary processing of resources: oil, gas, coal, bauxites, gemstones, etc., as well as woodworking and papermaking enterprises. Besides, the Republic develops reindeer husbandry, which is an important traditional branch of agriculture.
The territory of the Komi Republic is rich in natural, historical and ethnographic monuments of all kinds coming from the authentic culture of Finno-Ugrian tribes that inhabited this region in former times.

The postal stamp provides inscription “100 Years. Komi Republic”. The block margins provide images of the coat of arms of the Komi Republic and the national ornament; a Komi commercial calendar; the monument to Polar Researcher V.A. Rusanov in Pechora; a fire observation tower in Syktyvkar; the National Library of the Komi Republic (Syktyvkar); the Kyltovsky Monastery of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross; the Vorkutinskaya Mine; weathering stone pillars on the Manpupuner Plateau and other natural objects.

In addition to the issue of the postal block, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Syktyvkar.

Design Artist: I. Ulyanovsky.
Face value: 100 rubles.
Block size: 135×88 mm; stamp size in the block (diameter): 33 mm.
Quantity: 27 thousand blocks.


On August 24, stamps with artworks by the winners of The Image of Contemporary Russia drawing competition will go into postal circulation

According to the results of The Image of Contemporary Russia All-Russian competition of sketches of postage stamps and postcards, the selected artworks were drawings by Anastasia Voloshenko (St. Petersburg) and Galina Nazarenko (Yekaterinburg).
The organizers of the competition were the All-Russia People's Front and JSC Marka with support from the Moscow Branch of the Union of Artists of Russia.
The organizers received 1,750 artworks by participants from 30 regions of the Russian Federation.
The participants in the Competition were citizens of the Russian Federation: professional artists and designers, including students and graduates of creative universities, and non-professional artists.
The partners of the Project were the ArtContract information and exhibition agency, the VISTA-ARTISTA trademark of products for artists and the ZVEZDA radio station.

The postal stamp provides an image of a bear against the background painted in the colors of the Russian flag.

Design Artist: A. Voloshenko; Design: V. Zatologina.
Face value: 18 rubles.
Stamp size: 37×37 mm, sheet size: 152×152 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 9 (3×3) stamps.
Quantity: 198 thousand stamps (22 thousand sheets).

The postal stamp provides an image of medical professionals and a volunteer; all of them fulfil an essential role in modern society.

Artist: G. Nazarenko; Design: V. Zatologina.
Face value: 24 rubles.
Stamp size: 37×37 mm, sheet size: 131×138 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 9 (3×3) stamps.
Quantity: 135 thousand stamps (15 thousand sheets).

In addition to the issue of the postal stamps, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and St. Petersburg.


On August 26, four stamps dedicated to tanks produced by the Uralvagonzavod corporation will go into postal circulation in the History of Russian Tank Building series

Tank building industry in Russia dates its history back to 1920–1921, when Russian tank models were designed at the Krasnoye Sormovo plant in Nizhniy Novgorod on the basis of the captured Renault French tank. In the early 1930s, the principal design centers of the Soviet tank building industry were established in Moscow, Kharkov and Leningrad.
Nowadays, tank formations remain the main striking force of the Ground Troops of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
JSC Research and Production Corporation UralVagonZavod initially named after F. Dzerzhinsky is a Soviet and Russian corporation engaged in designing and manufacturing of military machinery, road construction machinery and railroad cars. The corporation integrates research institutes, design bureaus and manufacturing enterprises. The parent enterprise is the Uralvagonzavod plant, located in Nizhny Tagil of the Sverdlovsk Region

The postal stamps provide images of tanks of the Uralvagonzavod production:
— T-34-76;
— T-54;
— T-72B3;
— T-90M Proryv.

In addition to the issue of the postal stamps, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow, St. Petersburg, Yaroslavl, Yekaterinburg and Nizhny Tagil of the Sverdlovsk Region as well as an illustrated envelope with postal stamps, a label and a First Day Cover with a cancel for Moscow inside.

Design Artist: R. Komsa.
Face value: 24 rubles.
Stamp size: 50×37 mm, sheet size: 170×143 mm; small sheet size: 170×177 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins (3×3) with 8 stamps and a coupon; small sheet: 12 (3×4) stamps.
Quantity 104 thousand each stamp (13 thousand each sheet); 17 thousand small sheets.

On August 26, a postcard with a commemorative stamp dedicated to the 100th Birth Anniversary of Yuri V. Nikulin, circus performer, actor, People's Artist of the USSR, will go into postal circulation

Yuri V. Nikulin (1921-1997) was a circus performer (clown), film actor, TV presenter, People's Artist of the USSR (1973).
Yuri Nikulin was born on December 18, 1921, in the town of Demidov (presently the Smolensk Region). On November 8, 1939, after he had graduated from a secondary school, he was called up for military service in the Red Army. During the Great Patriotic War, Yuri Nikulin was fighting near Leningrad.
Once the war ended, Nikulin entered the circus school of the Moscow Circus on Tsvetnoy Boulevard. Having finished the school he became an assistant of popular clown Karandash. When working with Karandash, Nikulin met Mikhail Shuidin and they formed a famous clown duet.
Yu. Nikulin debuted in filming at the age of 36, and from his first roles, he proved himself as one of a kind multifarious actor. He brought various role-masks from the circus arena to the screen, widely using circus eccentricity and style as he did in films A Girl with Guitar and The Unamenables. An unforgettable image of Balbes from the famous trio in comedy films Bootleggers; Operation Y and Shurik's Other Adventures; Kidnapping, Caucasian Style, and New Adventures of Shurik, and others are distinguished by exceptional captivation and buoyancy. The most popular comedy movies with Yuri Nikulin starring are The Diamond Arm, 12 Chairs, Grandads-Robbers. However, the actor played not only comic roles. Such films as When the Trees were Tall, Andrei Rublev, They Fought for their Country, and Twenty Days Without War, drew out Nikulin’s dramatic talent.
In 1982, Yu. Nikulin became the Director of the Moscow Circus on Tsvetnoy Boulevard. On his watch, a new building was built for the circus, which was opened in 1989. Yuri Nikulin’s length of work in his home-circus was 50 years.
The postcard with a commemorative stamp provides Yuri Nikulin’s portrait; the main image features a frame from the Kidnapping, Caucasian Style, and New Adventures of Shurik film (Mosfilm, 1966).

In addition to the issue of the postcard with a commemorative stamp, JSC Marka will produce special cancels for Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Demidov of the Smolensk Region.

Design Artist: R. Komsa.
Quantity 7.5 thousand postcards.



« back