On July 5, four stamps will go into postal circulation in the Contemporary Art of Russia series
The Contemporary Art series of postage stamps presents the artwork of modern authors who convey the atmosphere of new Russia, its identity and dynamism, demonstrates the techniques and approaches to creating paintings and sculptural compositions that are peculiar to our times.
The postal stamps provide images of the following:
— painting Volga Expanses by A.I. Dubov (2003);
— painting Chak-Chak by R.S. Khabirov (2013);
— painting Izborsk by E.N. Maksimov (2016);
— monument to liquidators of the Chernobyl disaster by E.A. Antonov (2006, Tver).
In addition to the issue of the postal stamps, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and St. Petersburg, as well as an illustrated envelope with postal stamps and a First Day Cover with a cancel for St. Petersburg inside.
Design: O. Savina.
Face value: 59 rubles.
Stamps sized: 37×50 mm, 50×37 mm, 50×50 mm; sheets sized: × 131×126 mm, 120×137 mm, 170×126 mm.
Emission form: sheets with formatted margins with 6 (3×2) and 6 (2×3) stamps.
Quantity: 78 thousand each stamp (13 thousand each sheet).
On July 15, a postal block dedicated to the 100th Anniversary of the Central Order of Zhukov Orsha-Khingan Red Banner District of the National Guard troops of the Russian Federation will go into postal circulation
The Central Orsha-Khingan Red Banner District of the National Guard troops of the Russian Federation traces its history back to July 15, 1921, when, by the Order No. 21 of the All-Russian Special Commission for Combating Counterrevolution, Sabotage, and Speculation (Cheka), the Headquarters of the Moscow District of Cheka was established and took up the performance of the assigned tasks; it comprised three separate regiments, twelve separate battalions, cavalry and automotive battalions, an air detachment, an engineer battalion and a special operations detachment of the Cheka Presidium
On February 2, 1939, by the Resolution of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR, the Moscow District Office was extinguished and the regiments and battalions were assigned to NKVD (People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs) division, in particular, convoy units and units for the protection of railways and highly sensitive enterprises of industry.
On May 6, 1951, the NKVD convoy division was reorganized in the Red Banner 1st Orsha-Khingan subdivision of the Ministry of Internal Affairs Division of the Moscow Region, and on December 15, 1968, it was reformed into the 36th Red Banner Orsha-Khingan Division.
In 1986, the Moscow Internal Troops Directorate was established on its basis, and in January 1993, the Moscow Red Banner Orsha-Khingan District of Internal Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia was formed.
In 2008, the Moscow District was transformed into the Central Regional Command of the Internal Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia.
After the formation of the Federal Service for the National Guard troops of the Russian Federation, which incorporated the internal troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, the Central Regional Command was reformed into the Central District of the National Guard troops of the Russian Federation.
The postal stamp provides an image of the District heraldic symbol; the postal block margins feature stock photos imaging the combat path of the District, as well as the Orders of Zhukov and of the Red Banner.
In addition to the issue of the postal block, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and St. Petersburg, as well as two illustrated envelopes: the first one with the postal block, a label and a First Day Cover with a cancel for Moscow inside; the second one is intended for the 2nd emission type with the numeral postal block inside.
Design Artist: V. Beltyukov.
Face value: 100 rubles.
Block size: 105×110 mm; stamp size in the block: 37×50 mm.
Quantity: 30 thousand stamps (1st emission type); 5.5 thousand stamps (2nd emission type).
On July 16, a postcard with a commemorative stamp devoted to the 175th Birth Anniversary of Nikolay N. Miklouho-Maclay, ethnographer and traveler, will go into postal circulation
Nikolay N. Miklouho-Maclay (1846-1888) was a Russian ethnographer, biologist, anthropologist and traveler, who studied the indigenous population of Southeast Asia, Australia and Oceania.
The crucial merit of the scientist is that he raised the issue of the specific unity and relationship of human races. He compiled a description of the Melanesian anthropological type and proved its widespread in West Oceania and on the Islands of Southeast Asia. A good many of Nikolay Miklouho-Maclay’s observations up till now remain nearly the unique material on the ethnography of some regions of Oceania. In his lifetime, more than a hundred of Nikolai Miklouho-Maclay’s papers on ethnography, anthropology, zoology, anatomy, geography and other sciences were published.
The scientist’s name was assigned to the mountain and river in New Guinea, a stretch of the coastline in New Guinea (the Maclay Coast), an underwater mountain in the Pacific Ocean and the bay on the Wilkes Land in Antarctica. In 1947, the Institute of Ethnography of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR was named after Miklouho-Maclay. In 2014, the Russian Geographical Society instituted the N.N. Miklouho-Maclay Gold Medal as the highest award of the Society for ethnographic researches and travelling.
The commemorative stamp provides a N. Miklouho-Maclay’s portrait, a field glass and a notebook; the main image features a drawing made by the scientist during his expedition to New Guinea.
In addition to the issue of the postcard with a commemorative stamp, JSC Marka will produce special cancels for Moscow, St. Petersburg and Penza.
Design Artist: I. Ulyanovsky.
Quantity: 7.5 thousand cards.
On July 19, a postage stamp devoted to the 250th Anniversary of the expedition of the Russian army under the command of Prince Vasily M. Dolgorukov to Crimea will go into postal circulation
Prince Vasily M. Dolgorukov (1722-1782) was a General en Chef (1762) and the Moscow Commander-in-Chief (1780-1782). During the Russian-Turkish war (1768-1774), he commanded the Russian army that won the Crimea; in commemoration of this event he received the victorious title of “Krymsky” (“Crimean”).
On June 14 (25), 1771, the Russian troops under the command of Prince Vasily Dolgorukov overrun the 70-thousand army of Khan Selim III Giray and conquered Perekop.
On June 29 (July 10), in the battle of Kefe (presently Feodosia), the Russian army destroyed the 90-thousand forces raised by Khan thereby forcing to surrender the cities of Arabat, Kerch, Yeni-Kale, Balaklava and Taman and took over Crimea.
In 1842, an Obelisk of Dolgorukov was installed in Simferopol in honor of the victory of the Russian Army under the command of Vasily Dolgorukov over Turkish troops.
The postal stamp provides a V. Dolgorukov’s portrait against the Perekop fortress.
In addition to the issue of the postal stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and St. Petersburg, Simferopol, Kerch and Feodosia of the Republic of Crimea.
Design Artist: V. Khablovsky.
Face value: 56 rubles.
Stamp size: 50×37 mm, sheet size: 172×138 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 8 (3×3) stamps and a coupon.
Quantity: 120 thousand stamps (15 thousand sheets).
On July 21, a postal block dedicated to the Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God of the Bogoroditsky Monastery in Kazan will go into postal circulation
The Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God was the chief church of the Bogoroditsky monastery in Kazan. The Cathedral was built in 1807 to replace the dilapidated stone cathedral of the 1590s. The author of the project was famous Russian architect I.E. Starov.
In the 1930s, the greater part of the Monastery ensemble underwent vandalic destruction: stone walls were dismantled, the six-tiered bell tower and the Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God were blown up.
On November 4, 2015, Rustam Minnikhanov, the President of the Republic of Tatarstan, signed Decree On the Establishment of the Bulgarian Islamic Academy and Reconstruction of the Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God.
At the present moment, the recreated Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God has acquired its final appearance: the domes are crowned with crosses, mosaic icons have appeared on the Cathedral facade, the square around the Cathedral has been landscaped. The Cathedral has become one of the recognizable architectural landmarks of the city. All the artistic decoration fully corresponds to the historical look.
The greater consecration of the Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God is pre-scheduled for July 21, 2021.
The postal block provides an image of the Cathedral of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God of the Bogoroditsky monastery in Kazan.
In addition to the issue of the postal block, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Kazan.
Photo: D. Alikin.
Design Artist: A. Moskovets.
Face value: 100 rubles.
Block size: 70×70 mm; stamp size in the block: 30×42 mm.
Quantity: 27 thousand blocks.
On July 23, a postage stamp devoted to the 2550th Anniversary of the city of Feodosia will go into postal circulation
Feodosia dated its history back to the end of the 6th century BC, when merchants from the Greek city of Miletos founded a small trading post on the coast of a comfortable bay. The village was named Theodosia, which in Greek means "Granted by God".
In 355 BC, Theodosia was captured by the ruler of the Bosporan Kingdom. At the end of the 4th century, it was destroyed by a nomadic Hunnic tribe. In the century to follow, there was a village of alanes named Ardabda in place of Theodosia. At the end of the 7th-early 8th century, Khazars invaded the peninsula. Later on, for several centuries, Theodosia becomes a Byzantine fortification.
In 1223, the territory of Theodosia became a part of the Crimean khanate of the Golden Horde. However, soon afterwards, Genoese merchants bought a coastal area of the Feodosia Bay and established a trading settlement named Kafas (Caffa).
In 1475, Caffa was conquered by Osmanli Turks who renamed it as Kefe. Three centuries later, in 1771, during the Russian-Turkish war, the army of Prince V.M. Dolgorukov won the fortress.
In 1783, Crimea was incorporated in the Russian Empire, and a year later, Feodosia regained its antique name. In 1787, Feodosia became part of the Tauric Governorate. In a short time, an iron foundry, a confectionery factory and other production plants were launched in the city.
In 1921, the first health center opened in the city. Feodosia started its development as a health resort.
Currently, Feodosia is intensively developing as a resort and recreational area.
The postage stamp provides an image of the Genoese fortress, a view of the city, and a hybrid amphora of the 4th century BC from a necropolis.
In addition to the issue of the postage stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow and Feodosia of the Republic of Crimea, as well as a maxi-card.
Design Artist: O. Savina .
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 50×37 mm, sheet size: 172×175 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with 12 (3×4) stamps.
Quantity: 144 thousand stamps (12 thousand sheets).
On July 27, a postage stamp devoted to the 100th Anniversary of putting afloat the Sedov barque will go into postal circulation
The four-masted barque Sedov was built in Germany in 1921. During World War II, the barque sailed in the Baltic under the German naval ensign. After the War, it was handled over to the USSR in the quality of reparation from Germany and was renamed in honor of famous Russian polar explorer G.Ya. Sedov.
The first sail of the ship under the flag of the USSR was made in June 1952. In 1981-1991, the Sedov was used as a training ship of the Baltic Detachment of Training ships of VRPO Zapryba of the Fisheries Ministry of the USSR. In 1991, the ship was given over to the Murmansk State Technical University, a subordinate educational institution of the Federal Fisheries Agency.
The Sedov is the largest of still-standing training sailing ships; on that ground, in 1993, the barque entered the Guinness Book of Records.
In April 2017, the Sedov barque was handled over to the Kaliningrad State Technical University and changed the port of registration from Murmansk to Kaliningrad.
In 2019-2020, the barque participated in the circumnavigation of Rosrybolovstvo sailboats dedicated to the 200th Anniversary of the discovery of Antarctica and the 75th Anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War. During the expedition, more than 350 cadets of the Rosrybolovstvo educational institutions passed practical training onboard the ship.
The postage stamp provides an image of the Sedov barque.
In addition to the issue of the postage stamp, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow, St. Petersburg, Murmansk, Penza, and Kaliningrad; as well as a maxi-card and an illustrated envelope with the postage stamp, a label and a First Day Cover with a cancel for Moscow inside.
Design Artist: S. Ulyanovsky.
Face value: 50 rubles.
Stamp size: 65×32.5 mm, sheet size: 150×157 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with (2×4) 7 stamps and a coupon.
Quantity: 105 thousand stamps (15 thousand sheets).
On July 29, two postage stamps featuring Arctic oil-loading terminal Gates of the Arctic and crude oil tanker Shturman Albanov will go into postal circulation in the Maritime Fleet of Russia series. Continuation of the series
The Gates of the Arctic terminal, located in the water areas of the Gulf of Ob in the vicinity of the Mys Kamenny village, is designated for year-round offloading of oil of the Novoportovsk oil and gas condensate field. The terminal stands in fresh waters where the surrounding ice thickness in winter can exceed 2 meters, which required the application of unique engineering solutions that would ensure its reliable operation under the Far North conditions.
Shturman Albanov is the first of the six crude oil tankers of the Arc7 class built to ensure year-round oil shipment from the Novoportovsk field. Loading capacity of the ship is approx. 38 thousand tons of oil. The ship was designed with allowance for shallow waters of the Gulf of Ob and the climatic conditions of the Arctic. The maximum water-draught of the tanker in fresh water is 9.5 m while its width and length correspond to the dimensions of a tanker with twice as high loading capacity. The ship is equipped with a bow loading gear making it possible to attach and retain the tanker and load it with oil from the Gates of the Arctic terminal.
The postage stamps provide images of Arctic oil-loading terminal Gates of the Arctic and the Shturman Albanov oil tanker
In addition to the issue of the postage stamps, JSC Marka will produce First Day Covers and special cancels for Moscow, St. Petersburg and Murmansk; as well as two maxi-cards and an illustrated envelope with the postage stamps and a label inside.
Design Artist: A. Moskovets.
Face value: 30 rubles.
Stamps sized: 50×37 mm, sheet size: 124×212 mm.
Emission form: a sheet with formatted margins with (2×4) 8 stamps and a coupon.
Quantity: 68 thousand stamps each (17 thousand sheets each).